Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Oh (groovy) Canada (baby)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Canadian sixties nostalgia, nineties style:
Toronto's Mike Myers as Austin Powers, 1997.

Did I mention that I used to live in Toronto, loved it madly, and would move up there again in a heartbeat if I could get all the financial and paperwork bits sorted? I did? Oh--sorry. I'll put on another record, since you've heard that one before...

Anyway, via Metafilter (again--yes, I do know there are other sites on the internets), a wonderful reason for all us retro-obsessed folk to cross the 49th--several 60s exhibitions this year, all linked from a page with a chair that manages to say "Canadian" and "hip Eames-influenced style" with one glance. Quite a feat, that.

And in the meantime, if you'd like to enjoy some vintage northern goodness right now, visit 1050chum.com, where the Canadian Content rules assure that you won't suffer from the dreaded stateside corporate-owned Oldies Station Tedium. Awesome 60s and 70s music you haven't heard a million times before, by bands you'll want to know a lot more about. (I'm going to do a whole post on the beauty of vintage Canadian Pop--it's too splendid to be just a sidebar to this drive-by.)

Happy listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home